Friday, May 05, 2006

"Perfection"

It seems to be a dirty word at times, but I am committed to it. I mean by "dirty word", that it is very taboo in the church to speak of perfection in this life. But the Bible teaches it. It teaches that we are to be perfect, and it gives examples of those who were perfect, and glorified God in so BEING (as opposed to "doing"). I am a perfectionist, and that without apology. I acknowledge that in this life, I cannot claim to be "sinless" (i.e. that I will never sin again in my lifetime), but I can say with complete confidence that as God sanctifies us more, we will "sin less".

Daniel

20th day, 10th month, 2009: Now, having said that, I do believe, without apology, in sinless perfection in this life, simply because I do not know of any other kind of perfection. I just think the source of that "sinless perfection" is Jesus Christ's shed blood. If we avail ourselves of it and receive the cleansing that is ours by faith if we sin, then we will be thoroughly cleansed "from all unrighteousness". So, no, we should not pretend we have not sinned, if we have, but rather confess it and receive forgiveness. Being perfect, then, as I see it, involves a "Plan 'A'", and a "Plan 'B'". First, and most preferably, we "sin not" (I John 2:1). Secondly, however, (though by no means preferably) if (not "when") we sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for our sins only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (again, I John 2:1 ff). That is the kind of "sinless perfection" I am talking about.

I still remember my first few days in high school. Once, during a break between classes, I went to a meeting that had been anounced, in the weight room, for anyone interested in using it. I went to this meeting, and it went beyond the end of the break. In other words, when the bell rang, signalling students to go to their next class, the meeting in the weight room was still in progress. As a result, of course, then, I was late for my Math class, which was after the break.

When I walked into class late, my teacher said, "You're late..." I sought to excuse myself by explaining that I had been in the meeting for people interested in using the weight room. Then he said something I will never forget: "Leave early!"

Mr. Keating did not accept my excuse. It seemed reasonable enough to me. I mean, if a meeting had been called during the break, and it was my reason for being late, surely he would understand and excuse me. He, however, did not. He challenged me to take ownership of my responsibility to be on time - even if I thought I had an excuse.

I think that is the way a lot of us are with being perfect. God says to be perfect. We say that that will never happen in this life, because of our sin nature, and the fact that, as far as we are concerned, sooner or later we are going to sin. Well, for one thing, again, in I John 2:1 ff, the Apostle John does not write "when we sin", but "if...". So, really, first of all, the Spirit of God says, "Sin not". In other words, do not presume that ye are going to sin!

We, however, may point to our past sins and say, "It's too late, we already have sinned." Again, that reminds me especially of me trying to excuse my lateness for Math class because of the weight room meeting. God, however, makes it clear that he says what he means, and means what he says, and we read, "And if we sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous..." And, with that, in my opinion, any excuse we might have for not being "sinlessly perfect" in this life and beyond, is gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home